只看楼主 倒序阅读 0楼 发表于: 2017-12-18
邮箱:BG0APD@163.com
电话:15309910960
离线BG0APD
发帖
只看该作者 1楼 发表于: 2017-12-18
测试条件说明:

Left to right starting with noise floor:

Noise floor measures how weak a signal one can hear.  Practically it is only of significance on the higher HF bands due to the higher level of band noise on the low bands.  This assumes you are listening on your transmit antenna.  If you are using a Beverage or a low gain loop, then it could be an issue on any band.  

The noise floor is measured with a 500 Hz CW filter bandwidth, assuming the radio has a CW filter.  There is a note on the measurement if the radio only had an SSB bandwidth. Older radios (Drake, Collins) had no switchable preamp.  Compare them to a modern radio with Preamp ON or Preamp #1 ON. A noise floor of -135 dBm is more than adequate on 15 meters in a quiet rural location.  A lower noise floor (-138 dBm) might be useful on 10 meters in a quiet location.  Serious 6 meter DXers often use an external low-noise preamp to get the noise floor down to -140 dBm.  If you are in the city, hardly any of this matters due to all the local noise. (On 15 – 6 meters, hardline would be important to reduce the feedline loss to make the best use of the noise floor.)

Noise floor is quoted in dBm (power).  Consider it a similar measurement to Sensitivity on SSB, which I quote in microvolts (uV).  Noise floor is a 3 dB S+N/N ratio, usually measured at 500 Hz bandwidth.  Sensitivity is a 10 dB S+N/N ratio, usually measured with a 2.4 kHz bandwidth for SSB.  Due to the wider bandwidth on SSB, the signal vs. the noise sounds about the same by ear.  

AGC threshold:

The threshold is the signal level below which the receiver gain is basically running wide open.  Again this is mainly of significance on 20 meters and up, since the S meter often reads up scale on noise on the lower bands.  If the band noise reads up scale several S units, a signal is never going to be below the AGC threshold. Some newer radios let you set the AGC threshold, though it is not “memorized” by band, which would be helpful.  For modern radios with a switchable preamp, I prefer a threshold of 2.5 uV with the Preamp OFF and 1 uV with the Preamp ON.  

Blocking:

Blocking occurs when the radio is just beginning to overload from a signal outside the passband.  It is usually about 30 dB above the Dynamic Range of the radio (to be described below).  I don’t pay much attention to this number.   If a radio has a good dynamic range, then it will have a good blocking number.  130 dB is a good number.

Sensitivity:

This figure of merit has been around since at least the 1940s.  I quote it in uV, as mentioned above.  To measure it, a signal generator is fed into the radio, and the output at the speaker is read on an RMS volt meter.  The generator level is adjusted so the difference from when the signal is tuned in vs. when the signal is out of the passband equals 10 dB.  In other words, the signal is 10 dB stronger than the receiver noise.   Likewise, when one measures noise floor in CW mode, when the signal is tuned in it goes up 3 dB.  

Phase Noise:

Old radios (Collins, Drake, Hammarlund, National) used a VFO or PTO and crystal oscillators to tune the bands.  Any noise in the local oscillator (LO) chain was minimal.  When synthesized radios came along in the 70s, the LO had noise on it.  It is caused by phase jitter in the circuit, and puts significant noise sidebands on the LO.   This can mix with a strong signal outside the passband of the radio and put noise on top of the weak signal you are trying to copy.

This is a significant problem in some cases:  You have a neighboring ham close by, during Field Day when there are multiple transmitters at the same site, and certainly in a multi-multi contest station.  You would like the number to be better that 130 dBc / Hz at 10 kHz.  Non-synthesized radios (Drake, Collins, etc.) have so little noise the measurements were made closer-in between 2 and 5 kHz.

Front End Selectivity:

This is less of an issue today as almost every radio has a half-octave filter in the front end.  The R-390A had the best mechanical front end (preselector) ever made, with the Drake and Collins somewhat behind.   The R-390A preselector tracked the tuning knob, while you had to peak the Drake and Collins by hand.  A few radios today have an electrical tracking preselector, using varactor diodes, or occasionally mechanically inductively tuned, such as the uTune options from Yaesu .

Filter Ultimate:

In the old days filter leakage was an issue.  Either the filter didn’t have many poles, or there was leakage around the filter (filter blow-by).  70 dB was a typical number.  As radios improved, it became common to have dual conversion, with a crystal filter at 5 to 10 MHz, and then another filter at 455 kHz.  Even if each filter only provided 70 dB attenuation, by the time the out-of-passband signal was attenuated twice, filter leakage was a non-issue.  2X 70 dB = 140 dB.  

Then along came synthesized radios with phase noise.  Now the problem became the close-in phase noise limiting the rejection of the filter.  Instead of hearing signal leakage on the edge of the filter, one hears noise from the LO, called reciprocal mixing.  

I measure filter ultimate a few filter bandwidths away from the passband.  On CW that would be a couple kHz, and on SSB that would be 4 to 6 kHz.  Most of the newer radios at the top of the list are phase noise limited.  Most of the older radios near the bottom of the list are leakage limited, if one makes a generalization.

Dynamic Range:

Now we get to the nitty gritty.  I started testing radios in 1976 because the ARRL rated the Drake R-4C very good, but in a CW contest it was terrible.  The radio overloaded in a CW pile-up.  So I tried to figure out what was wrong with their testing.  In 1975, the League had started testing for noise floor and dynamic range, new terms for most amateurs.  (There were articles in both QST and HamRradioMmagazine on the subject.) Spurious Free Dynamic Range measures how the radio can handle strong undesired signals at the same time as a weak desired signal, without overload.  When a radio overloads, it starts generating spurious signals on its own.  

Dynamic range is defined as the level in dB when two strong test signals make distortion in the radio equal to the noise floor.  The radio thus can handle that range of signals before the strong signals just start to overload the radio.  

The League originally only tested the dynamic range at 20-kHz test spacing, which was reasonable at the time.  But as multi-conversion radios became the norm, this test was inadequate.  The Drake example was a case in point.  When the two test signals are 20 kHz apart, the overload distortion products are 20 kHz each side of the pair of test signals. In other words, the League was testing as if the QRM was always going to be 20 and 40 kHz away!  In reality the QRM is likely going to be close by.  

In 1977 I published an article in Ham Radio Magazine discussing this subject.  I tested the offending R-4C at 2 kHz in addition to 20 kHz.   In that case the 20-kHz dynamic range was over 80 dB, but the 2-kHz dynamic range was less than 60 dB.  

The roofing filter of the R-4C is 8-kHz wide, and in a CW contest, there were many signals inside that 8-kHz filter, overloading the radio. (In this case it was the second mixer.)  I installed a 600 Hz roofing filter in the R-4C, and the problem went away.  When testing the Sherwood modified R-4C at 2 kHz, the dynamic range was over 80 dB, just like it was with the 20-kHz test.  

Most radios in the 70s and 80s had gone to up-conversion for two reasons.  This got rid of the necessity of a preselector, and it allowed general coverage without a dead spot equal to the first IF frequency.  In the up-conversion radio, the first IF was always above 10 meters, and often above 6 meters.  All first IF filters were at least 15 kHz wide, and there was the problem.  The Drake 8-kHz first IF was bad enough, and now almost all the radios for 20+ years had a first IF what was 15-kHz wide.  Almost all of them had a dynamic range around 70 dB.  That was barely adequate for SSB and inadequate for CW.  

For 38 years I have been testing radios, and I decided to sort the table on my web site by close-in dynamic range at 2-kHz spacing.  This was the “acid test” for CW contest / DX pile-up operation.  

In 2003 the Ten-Tec Orion came along, and it went back to a 9 MHz first IF (instead of 40 to 70 MHz), and offered a narrow CW roofing filter, like I had added to the Drake.  It was the first commercial radio to perform better than my modified Drake R-4C from the standpoint of overload in a CW pile-up. Later the Elecraft K3 came to market, and now Yaesu and Kenwood have what is now called “down-conversion” radios with a low frequency first IF.  

Summary:

What do you need in the way of close-in dynamic range?  You want a number of at least 70 dB for SSB, and at least 80 dB for CW.  A 10 dB safety factor would be nice, so that means you would prefer 80 dB for SSB and 90 dB for CW.  Now there are several radios in the top ten that meet that specification.

Rob Sherwood
NC0B

Rev E
邮箱:BG0APD@163.com
电话:15309910960
离线BG6JJI
发帖
只看该作者 2楼 发表于: 2017-12-18
都换SDR吧
到处游荡的机器人火腿,目前在丽江
RIG:我有一堆uSDX
ANT:随时都能抄走的拉杆GP天线
QQ:1416160    我的DIY群:777353770
http://www.dxsummit.fi/DxSpots.aspx
离线net2000
发帖
只看该作者 3楼 发表于: 2017-12-18
SDR突破了近百来年的无线电接收模式,真正的无线电技术革新,未来很可能就是象卖电脑卖SDR硬件,然后装谁的软件,看谁家的软件降噪算法好。
离线bg7yi
发帖
只看该作者 4楼 发表于: 2018-02-24
回 net2000 的帖子
net2000:SDR突破了近百来年的无线电接收模式,真正的无线电技术革新,未来很可能就是象卖电脑卖SDR硬件,然后装谁的软件,看谁家的软件降噪算法好。 (2017-12-18 19:53) 

创新带动、体系支撑、硬件平台、算法为王!